HEADER BLOG TITLE

27/01/2014

Sending Ripples



Hello!

Two years ago the children and I lived in a gorgeous villa in the middle of the rainforest on the tropical island of Penang, Malaysia and frequently traveled via taxi, ferry, train and plane to our apartment near Lumpini Park in Bangkok, Thailand where The Husband was working. I loved those train trips as I spent many hours crocheting away listening to the clickety clack of the train on a track. Bangkok was a 1 hour and 50 minute flight away from Penang Island; a 22 hour slow train trip covered the same distance!

A year and a half ago, we all packed up to continue our adventures in Mumbai, India and two weeks before the container with our belongings was to be shipped to India, the company's sister office in South Africa requested The Husband to join them in Johannesburg. Aaaaack! I arrived in South Africa kicking and screaming since I had to withdrew myself from a highly interesting ethnographic research I had just committed to in Asia. 

Today we are packing up house once again. Just because you were born somewhere, doesn't mean you belong there. We don't belong in South Africa, we are Global Nomads feeling at ease where East meets West. We are returning to our beloved Middle East where we raised our family for 8 years prior to living in South East Asia. We experienced Dubai rising from the desert, we are off to Qatar to experience the same all over again. We are beyond excited, we love living in the middle of the world where a 2-3 hour flight takes one to the most amazing destinations imaginable! Iran, India, Turkey and Tibet; the world is my oyster.



Talking about oysters - I used to love wearing neutral shades of oyster, blush, nude and peach, and especially like the combination of these with silvery grey.  I have this major urge to  revamp not only my wardrobe to incorporate more of these lighter colours, but am thinking of hooking a throw for our new abode in the desert in neutrals too.  

This scarf (hmm, yip another scarf!) is hooked in Vinnis Nikkim 100% cotton yarn in Peach-558. I absolutely fell in love with the Vintage Fan Ripple stitch by Janis Cortese and might use the same stitch for a blanket in a vintage colour scheme in the future.  

Note: 

The pattern diagram on Ravelry indicates hdc as the foundation stitches of the fans - it should in fact be sc (US terminology).  Even though the symbols are incorrect, Janis describes the stitches correctly.

Drawings source links on Pinterest  



25 comments:

  1. It's lovely, and so beautifully executed. Good luck with the move, I am wishing you all many happy adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful! I love this colour and when you mention it combined with silvery grey---yes yes yes!
    Safe journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely silvery grey to give it an edge, i am not much of a romantic dresser!

      Delete
  3. Well, ready for the next move…. I know very well your feelings and all the excitement about a new destination!!!! I wish you all the best Magda and you know what? In the summer we are going to leave Indonesia for our "next home country", but I cannot tell you right now where we'll be!!!!;oD
    Your scarf is absolutely beautiful, xxxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great news Ale, can't wait to see where you are off to next! We both experienced the Middle East and South East Asia - home is where we automatically connects to the wi-fi LOL.

      Delete
  4. Lovely scarf in lovely color. Wish you all the luck....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! You must be so happy! We lived in Chiang Mai, Thailand for a year and last week we started talking about how much we miss it. (Although the climate doesn't suit me at all...). I really love your pictures and the colors you've chosen.
    Anyway, enjoy your preparations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is tedious! Penang was summer, hot, humid 365 days a year - no seasons. In fact it was a couple degrees hotter over December than Bangkok and I still side to my husband how lucky he was that it cooled down a little over some months. We are going to hell in terms of hot now but there are two seasons and lots of aircon at least. I should in fact hook myself a super nice shawl to take along to the chilly mall.

      Delete
  6. Great news for ye - trust you'll be happier there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are always happy! What affects the lifestyle here though is the absence of street culture and a energy for life (that does not include rape and murder). OMG it is about the most boring social environment I have experienced in many years.

      Delete
  7. I looooove your scarf. The vintage fan ripple stitch is one of my favourites (allthough I've never used it!); it's gorgeous - as is this colour you chose for yet another masterpiece.

    Also love what you write about being a global nomad... And that train ride sounds absolute divine... Went straight on my to do list.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are having a ton of fun! The acrylics had me in stitches - the same garish colours were quite the rave in Penang too LOL.

      Delete
  8. Nice scarf and beautiful pictures/collages!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Magda,
    You and your family live an interesting live, wish you all the best! Love your scarf, the color is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andree, hopefully I am closer to another visit to the Netherlands and Belgium too!

      Delete
  10. What a gorgeous scarf, I love the pattern and the colour is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn for popping in - your blog is so pretty and a real feel good space!

      Delete
  11. it is realy lovely! thanks for sharing the pattern, its on my to do list now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Magda,thanks for your kind comment on my blog!
    Love your work and blog!Reading you feels like we're closed in that matchbox called "home".i can hardly imagine your walking on edge seeing paradise life...bless you ,wishing you all bests ,happy adventures,luuuuck!
    i just felt on my thoughts ;) ..........ildi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful scarf Magda - best of luck with the move!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Magda! This scarf is absolutely lovely! Actually I'm using the pattern as the edge for a scarf that is my work in progress, and I link back to your post that inspire me. It's a pleasure to read your blog full of interesting project and travel too.
    Have a nice week!
    ciao

    :::Silvia

    ReplyDelete