08/12/2012

Roly Poly Pillow Seat and Pentagon Pattern

While some parts of the world are currently covered in snowy white, we are living in a country covered in colour during the long Southern Hemisphere summers! The Roly Poly Pillow Seat fits right into this image but I can only show you the deflated version at the moment. Stuffing of the ball will take place later this month and I cannot wait to see the ball in it's full splendour - only then will it be possible to truely appreciate the beautiful yarn, colours and design. If you haven't hooked anything in Vinnis Nikkim Colours yet, this is an amazing 100% cotton yarn that I cannot recommend enough!

 The 12 pentagons hooked in different colours



I hooked the pentagons with a 3,75mm hook rather than the recommended 4mm as I wanted to achieve a slightly denser look. The ball was hooked in half double stitches [hdc].

Round 1. Chain 4, close to form ring.  Chain 2 to form first stitch. Hook another 19 hdc and close round with slip stitch. Total stitches = 20.

Round 2. This round will increase by 5 stitches. Chain 3 to form first stitch and single chain. Then in same space hook 1hdc. This will form the first corner. Hook 1 hdc in each of the following 3 spaces. Then in fourth space to create second of five corners: hdc, ch, hdc. Repeat to create 5 corners. This round = 25 hdc in total.

Round 3. Chain 3 to form stitch and single chain. Then in same space hook 2hdc.Hook 1 hdc in each of the following spaces until you reach the corner. In corner space: 2hdc, ch, 2hdc. Repeat until you reach the first stitch. THEN hook another hdc in the corner and slipstitch before going into second round. This round = 40 hdc in total.

Round 4. This round = 45 hdc in total.

Round 5. This round = 60 hdc in total.


NOTE: You will see that the corners of every odd round [starting round three] = 2hdc, ch, 2hdc. Every even round [starting round two] = 1hdc, ch, 1hdc. This resulted in a flat Pentagon. I always join the next round in a corner in order to hide the joins between rounds as demonstrated here. For these pentagons it meant that during the odd rounds you need to hook one last hdc in the corner before slipping into the first one in order to ensure 2hdc, ch, 2hdc for that round.

Thanks for stopping by - Cheers!

12 comments:

  1. wow really beautiful.. Gorgeous..:)9 And a very hard pattern..:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha haaa I am rotten at writing patterns and will ask the Teen to draw me a picture to make it easier to understand.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful!! Hope to see it completed soon!!
    Thank you for sharing,
    happy weekend, xx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love the colours! Can't wait to see it finished...
    All best from The Netherlands!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all - I will stuff it next week and am so curious to see what it will look like! Might post a pic of the room too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. would love to see a completed photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - there is a small pic of the ball here where I posted pics of the Teen's room http://pigstails.blogspot.com/2013/01/hellooo.html I will most definitely post a proper pic soon.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful project! I've been trying to do something like a bean bag pillow for my nephew but can't quite wrap my head around how I will make the cover removable to wash and closed when in use.
    How did you close up your pillow after it was stuffed?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jen, I hook all the sides and only left one side open, stuffed it via the small opening and hooked that closed too. I just unravel the hooking when it is need of a wash. Uhm, not very practical but I guess it should be easy enough to use three buttons on it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking about re stitching to wash made me think how putting in a zipper along that edge would be easy enough. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Yes! A zip will be absolutely perfect. I suggest that you line each pentagon with a cotton for strength. It will prevent the yarn from stretching too much if the ball is for an active little boy. Have fun, it takes me about two weeks to finish one of these balls provided I hook at least one pentagon a day.

      Delete